Thursday, June 3, 2010

Cream of Broccoli Soup

This recipe is slightly adapted from one of our family favorites. My kids love this, as do my husband and I. And, it's super quick and easy.

Ingredients:

1 ½ to 2 cups gluten-free chicken broth (I used Swanson Natural Goodness from Costco)
1 (10 oz.) bag frozen broccoli or fresh broccoli (chopped in florets)
1 cup half and half
1 cup milk
3 T cornstarch
1 cup grated cheddar cheese

Directions:
  1. Bring chicken broth to a boil, add broccoli, and simmer for 8-10 minutes, or until broccoli is tender
  2. Add milk with cornstarch dissolved in it, half and half, and cheese.  
  3. Stir until soup thickens and cheese melts

Allison's additional notes:
  1. More often than not, I use milk in the place of half and half. Still works great, though I'll add a little bit more cornstarch
  2. I usually make it with fresh broccoli
  3. We usually double the recipe, as we enjoy the leftovers

No comments: