Sunday, June 13, 2010

Quinoa Pilaf

I found this wonderful blog called Simply...Gluten Free that has tons of recipes I want to try out...especially after testing this one. I've tried quinoa (a tiny grain) in a couple of recipes before, but wasn't all that impressed. Now that I'm a lot more limited in the grain department, I wanted to try again. I was THRILLED with how this recipe turned out! I served it as a side dish with Salmon with Dill. I loved it so much I made it again two days later. Thomas and the kids liked it too. Yummy!!

Quinoa Pilaf

Ingredients:

3 teaspoons olive oil – use divided
1 cup quinoa
1 garlic clove, finely minced
1½ cups water
1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
¼ cup slivered almonds
1 green onion (white and green part) finely minced

Directions:
  1. Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the quinoa and garlic and cook for about 3 minutes. You want the quinoa to lightly toast but you do not want the garlic to get browned. 
  2. Add the water and salt. Raise heat, bring to a full boil, cover pan with a lid and turn heat down to medium-low. Let simmer for about 15 minutes or until all the liquid is absorbed and the quinoa is tender.
  3. While quinoa is simmering toast the almond slivers in a dry skillet over high heat until they are browned and fragrant, stirring often. Watch them carefully so they do not burn. Take off heat and set aside.
  4. When the quinoa is done, remove from heat and let sit in pan covered for about 3 minutes. 
  5. Put in serving bowl and fluff with a fork. Add the minced green onion and toasted almonds. Drizzle with remaining 2 teaspoons of olive oil and toss. Taste and add salt and pepper if needed.
Allison's Additional Notes:
  1. Quinoa must be rinsed to remove bitterness before cooking. I used Bob's Red Mill quinoa (from Costco), which is pre-rinsed and ready to go.

No comments: