Monday, June 28, 2010

Pad Thai

I found the recipe for this delicious dish in a book called The Gluten Free Bible.

I've been meaning to try it out for a while, but the first time I went to pick up all the ingredients the store was out of bean sprouts. A week later I bought the bean sprouts, but forgot the peanuts. The sprouts went bad before I could make it back to the store, at which time there were no bean sprouts again. I didn't feel like going to another store, so made this sans bean sprouts. Still amazing, but I'm sure it would be even better next time around. 

Ingredients:

1/2 c peanut oil
1/2 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
4 eggs, lightly beaten
2 c softened rice noodles
1 t paprika
1/2 c fish sauce
1/2 c sugar
1/2 c rice vinegar
1/2 c ground unsalted peanuts
8 green onions, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 1/4 c fresh bean sprouts, rinsed and drained, divided
4 garlic cloves
1 t red pepper flakes

Directions:
  1. Heat oil in a large frying pan or wok over high heat until the oil begins to smoke
  2. Add shrimp and saute for 1 minute
  3. Pour eggs over the shrimp and allow to sit for 1 minute, then scramble
  4. Add the rice noodles and paprika; stir briefly
  5. Add fish sauce, sugar, rice vinegar, and peanuts; saute for 30 seconds
  6. Add 1 c bean sprouts, green onion, garlic, and red pepper flakes; toss to heat
  7. Remove from heat, place in serving dish, and garnish with remaining 1/4 c bean sprouts
Allison's Additional Notes:
  1. Have all ingredients prepared and placed near the stove before beginning to cook, because it goes fast (I felt like a chef on a cooking show)
  2. For noodles, I used half a 1 lb box of A Taste of Thai noodles, and soaked them per package instructions
  3. To grind the peanuts, I sealed them in a small ziploc bag and went over them with a rolling pin
  4. Next time around I'm going to try less sugar (1/4 c), since I don't think it needs the full 1/2 c, and of course, add the bean sprouts

No comments: