Monday, May 31, 2010

Chicken Enchiladas with Salsa Verde

Found on celiacfamily.com

Many canned enchilada sauce contain gluten. Green sauce is my favorite, but I haven't found a pre-made version that is gluten free. I was very excited to try this recipe. It did not disappoint, but was more time consuming than I recipe I would make on a normal weeknight.

Ingredients:

2 (4 oz.) cans chopped green chiles
2 1/2 tsp salt
1 lb. tomatillos (about 5 or 6 six large)
1 medium onion, finely chopped (about 3/4 cup)
2 fresh jalapenos, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 Cup chicken broth (Make sure it’s gluten-free)
2 TBSP olive oil
1 1/2 Cups corn oil
12, 6-inch corn tortillas
4 cups chicken, cooked and shredded
12 oz. shredded cheese (about 3 Cups) Cheddar, Monterey Jack, or combination

Directions:  
  1. Cook tomatillos in a pot of salted (1 tsp) boiling water until tender, about 10 minutes. Don’t cook too long or the tomatillos may fall apart. Remove from the water and cool to room temperature. Once cooled, cut out the stem.  
  2. In a blender, combine tomatillos, onion, jalapenos, garlic and 1-1/2 tsp salt. Blend until smooth. Add the green chilles and then enough chicken broth (about 1 Cup) to make sauce a total of 4 Cups.  
  3. In a large skillet warm olive oil over medium heat. When hot, add the tomatillo sauce carefully (it may splatter). Lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. 
  4. In a deep skillet or large pot, heat 1/4″-1/2″ corn oil over medium heat. Using tongs, immerse the tortillas one at a time in the oil, turn them, and then transfer them to absorbent paper. The tortillas should be in the oil no more than a few seconds, and the oil should be hot enough to soften the tortillas but not so hot that the edges begin to crisp.
  5. For each tortilla, spread a TBSP of sauce on it. Place about 1/3 cup chicken and about 1 TBSP of shredded cheese in the bottom center of the tortilla. Roll up the tortilla and place in a baking dish (I use a 9″x13″ pan.). Continue for the remaining 11 tortillas.
  6.  Pour remaining sauce over the enchiladas. Top with remaining cheese. Bake at 375 degrees F until heated through, cheese is melted, and sauce is bubbling – about 15 minutes.

    Allison's Additional Notes:
    1. I removed the seeds from jalapenos before chopping (didn't want it too spicy)
    2. I added black beans (canned) when I filled the enchiladas
    3. I used 15 tortillas (maybe too many, as my sauce wasn't thin enough); if I try that again, I'll add more chicken broth to the sauce
    4. I used less cheese (only 2 cups)
    5. Not a quick recipe...but well worth the effort!

    No comments: