Thursday, June 16, 2011

Zucchini Bread

I found a recipe for gluten-free zucchini bread last year on Gluten-free Goddess, and finally tried it out. Judging from the fact that I've almost consumed the entire pan today (yikes!), I like it a lot. I followed her instructions almost exactly (except for using sea salt and free-range organic eggs). Next time I'll try to squeeze more moisture out of the zucchini, as the center of the bread seemed a little too moist.

Ingredients:

1 rounded c shredded zucchini (I chopped mine in my mini food processor)
1 c sorghum flour
1/2 c tapioca starch
2 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
3/4 t xanthan gum
1/2 t salt
1 t  cinnamon
1 c brown sugar
1/3 c light olive oil or coconut oil (I used coconut)
1 t fresh lemon or lime juice
2 egg whites, beaten
1/4 c coconut milk (I used So Delicious in the carton, per instructions from the original recipe)

Directions:
  1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line the bottom of a 9 inch loaf pan with a piece of parchment paper. Lightly oil it.
  2. Press the grated zucchini with a paper towel to remove as much moisture as you can.
  3. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the sorghum flour, tapioca starch, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum, salt, and cinnamon. Add in the brown sugar.
  4. Add the oil, lemon juice, egg whites, and the coconut milk. Beat to combine and continue to beat on medium high until the batter is smooth- about two minutes.
  5. Add the shredded zucchini. Mix well.
  6. Scoop and scrape the batter into the prepared loaf pan and even out the top.
  7. Bake in the center of a preheated oven until the top is golden and firm, yet gives a bit when lightly touched. It should feel slightly springy. This may take anywhere from 50 to 60 minutes. (It took mine 60 minutes). Test with a thin sharp knife or a wooden pick- either should emerge with no crumbs or batter.

1 comment:

Allison said...

FYI-I tried this recipe today in my mini muffin pan. It didn't work.