Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Turkey (or Chicken) Soup

This is based off of my mom's turkey soup recipe. I remember often eating it after Thanksgiving or Christmas. In this instance, I made chicken soup, using my previously Roasted Chicken to make the stock. The fresh stock really makes the recipe. My family ate it with crackers, while I had some delicious Udi's bread on the side.

Ingredients:
6 c fresh turkey or chicken stock, divided
1 onion
1 1/2 stalks celery
2 medium carrots
4 T butter (1/2 cube)
1/4 c gluten free flour (I used Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose Flour)
1 c light cream

1/2 c cooked turkey or chicken, diced
1 c cooked rice (I used brown)
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
  1. To make stock, add 3 quarts water and 1 T salt to chicken or turkey carcass and simmer for several hours, then strain.
  2. Chop onion, carrots, and celery very fine (I chopped mine in a mini food processor). Simmer vegetables in a covered pan with 1 c stock for 20 minutes, or until tender.
  3. Melt butter over medium heat, then add flour, stirring constantly. Add cream, and stir until smooth and slightly thickened.
  4. Add vegetables and remaining 5 c stock. Stir well.
  5. Bring to a simmer and lower heat, cooking for 10 minutes.
  6. Add turkey or chicken and rice and season to taste.

No comments: