Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Baked Pasta Dish

I LOVE this recipe. It came from one of my sister's friends while she was in culinary school. It is super easy and super delicious. You don't cook the pasta ahead of time and mix everything in the pan you bake it in. What could be better than only one dirty pan?

This was my first time making this dish since going gluten free. I made a full recipe for my family and company with regular pasta, and half a recipe for myself with gluten free pasta in an 8x8 pan. I'll probably end up freezing some of my leftovers to enjoy another day. I was thrilled with the way my gluten free pan turned out. This was also my first time trying Tinkyada Brown Rice Penne. I was impressed...it had the same texture and flavor as regular pasta (or at least how I remember it). I will definitely be using it again.

Ingredients:

1 16 oz. package uncooked penne pasta (I used Tinkyada Brown Rice Penne for the gluten free version)
1 26 oz. jar pasta sauce
3 cups water (pasta sauce jar)
1/2 tsp. dried basil
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 cups mozzarella cheese

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. 
  2. Mix pasta, sauce, water and seasonings in a 9 x 13 pan. Cover with foil. 
  3. Bake for 30 minutes. 
  4. Stir and then top with cheese. Bake uncovered for 10 minutes. May add cooked sausage or other meat before topping with cheese.
Allison's additional notes:
  1. I have varied this recipe in the past by adding spinach or chopped zucchini.
  2. I use fresh basil and oregano from my garden instead of dried, but dried works just as well.

No comments: