Friday, September 3, 2010

Pie Crust

I did not personally make this recipe, but I ate it. My parents usually make fresh-picked apple and blackberry pies at our annual family reunion. Before the reunion, my dad called me saying he had found a gluten-free recipe that he wanted to make for me. He shopped for the ingredients, and my parents made me two delicious pies. It really touched me and made me feel special. And the pies were incredible. I'm longer sad when I think about Thanksgiving.

Slightly adapted from a recipe from Gluten-free Girl and the Chef


Recipe yields 1 double pie crust or 2 single pie crusts.

Ingredients:
1 c + 3 T white rice flour
1/2 c sorghum flour
1/2 c potato starch
3 t sugar
1/4 t salt
8 T (or, one stick) cold butter
1 large egg
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1/4 ice-cold water, or enough to make the dough stick together

Directions:
  1. Mix together all the dry ingredients. Slice the butter into little pieces, about 1/2-inch thick. Using a pastry cutter or fork, cut the butter into the dry ingredients until the butter has crumbled into pea-sized pieces.
  2. Mix in the egg and vinegar, then the water a little at a time, making sure the dough is not too wet.
  3. Divide the dough in two separate portions. Roll out one portion between two sheets of parchment or wax paper.
  4. Peel off the top paper. Lay a pie plate on top of the dough, then flip the whole thing over. The dough should sag into the pie plate. Remove the other sheet of paper and finish shaping the dough into the pan.
  5. If making a pie with a double crust (as the apple and blackberry pies were), fill, then roll out the second portion of dough the same way and place on top. Trim the sides, crimp the edges, and slice vent holes.
  6. If making pie with a single pie crust, repeat the steps with the second portion of dough to to make a second crust. Trim the sides and crimp the edges.

No comments: