Friday, September 9, 2011

Calabacitas

Our mom acquired this recipe from somewhere - I think from a co-worker of our dad's years ago.  The co-worker actually titled the dish "Calavasitas," but when I checked around on the internet the most common spelling listed was "Calabacitas," meaning "little squash" in Spanish.  I don't know why the different spellings (since I don't know the first thing about any other language except my own).  Either way, it's a yummy way to use that extra zucchini from the garden, or (if you live in Arizona and your zucchini died many months ago) from the grocery store.

Ingredients:

4 medium green zucchini, sliced
1/2 onion, chopped
2 small tomatoes, chopped
1 cup corn (canned, frozen, or even better, fresh!)
Cheddar cheese
Salt and pepper

Directions:

  1. Saute onion and tomato with a little butter.  
  2. Add zucchini, corn, salt, and pepper and cook until soft.  
  3. Top with cheese and serve.

No comments: