Friday, January 17, 2014

Gluten-Free Oatmeal Blender Pancakes

Justin and I have enjoyed these pancakes a few times, found here. I know neither of you are big on pancakes, but I thought I'd still share. I would say they have a banana taste. The recipe calls for ground chia seeds, which I don't have and didn't want to buy. From my brief research, it seems that these are sort of a binding agent (could be wrong.) I substituted 1/2 Tbsp xanthan gum. I obviously don't know the difference since I've never used the chia seeds, but they turned out well. 

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups buttermilk
3 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 medium banana (overripe is good, but not necessary)
2 cups certified gluten-free oats
1 Tbsp ground chia seeds
1 Tbsp honey
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder

Directions:

Place the buttermilk, eggs, vanilla, banana, oats, chia seeds, and honey into the jar of a blender. Cover and blend at high speed for two minutes (if you skimp on the blender time, your mixture may not be thick enough). Add the salt, baking soda, and baking powder, and blend again just until mixed.

Pour approximately 1/2 cup batter onto lightly greased frying pan heated to a medium-high heat, making pancakes that are about 4 to 5 inches.

This recipe makes about 10 5-inch pancakes.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I didn't like pancakes in my youth, but had a change of heart in my 20s. :) We've started using chia seeds in smoothies. Interesting that they're in this recipe....

Allison said...

We had these tonight. They were a hit with everyone. Thanks!